Friday, March 15, 2013

Running friends are the best friends

No. They are.

I was running with my friend the other day, and it was a pretty intense run. We had already been running for about an hour straight (and neither of us are in our top shape) and we had got to this hill that's right before we start heading back towards home. So basically, it was home stretch. Now, I don't know if  you've ever run before, but a whole bunch of bodily functions go crazy when you're really pushing yourself. After you finish a 5K race, you feel like something's gonna come out of every orifice. I realize that this is kind of disgusting, but if you're a runner then you'll get me. Anyways, back to the story. So we're running and we're both feeling our bodies going haywire, but of course we're not going to talk about it because 1) we're too tired and 2) because we both think that the other person will react with revile and disgust. So, we get to the top of the hill and I get there a little bit before she does and a just do a quick to make sure nothing came out of me. I know how this sounds, but you hear tale of people who start to-for lack of a better term-crap themselves in the middle of a run. When I first joined Cross Country, one of the first stories I heard was this girl who was running a race and she had a literal trail of liquid poop running down the back of her leg. I mean, she kept going because, I mean, at that point you got nothing to lose. But something you get a little paranoid because you don't know during a run if it's excrement or just sweat.

Anyways, she asked me what I was doing, and knowing her well enough that she wouldn't really care, I told her. And she quickly agreed with me how terrible it was. This one time, after she had finished a race, her friend went to congratulate her with a hug, and she was just like, "Gotta pee!" so she just went into the nearest port-o-potty and checked to make sure that nothing but sweat had come out of her. But yeah.

In summary: runner friends are great because you can talk about gross bodily functions with them and they will know your pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment